The Beginning
Seventy five years ago, on 15th February, 1941, the first Government M.E School was established in the former Mokokchung sub-division. It commenced with Mayangnokcha as the founder Headmaster and an enrolment of 130 students.

Shri. MayangnokchaOn 1st April 1948, the government took over the Aided High School and amalgamated it with the M.E. School. Mayangnokcha was appointed as the Headmaster and S.K. Roy, the HM of the Aided High School, as the Assistant Headmaster. The same year, the school was named Government High School, Mokokchung. 

A volley of expansion took place in the next few decades. In 1956, Hopongki constructed the main school building and in 1967, Areshingang constructed the school auditorium. In 1971, the government sanctioned an amount of Rs. 16,000 to install a Science Laboratory and it was constructed in the same year by Yashitsungba Aier. During the Golden Jubilee celebration, in 1991, the school library was inaugurated by S.C Jamir, the then Chief Minister of Nagaland.

With effect from June 16, 1994, in honour of the first Headmaster, the school was officially rechristened to Mayangnokcha Government High School, Mokokchung.

The Present

In 2002, the school was upgraded into a Higher Secondary School offering Commerce stream. The same year, the Science stream was also introduced and a new Science Laboratory was constructed in 2005. In 2010, the much awaited Arts stream began. Rowainla was appointed as the first Principal of Mayangnokcha Government Higher Secondary School in 2005.

With the inclusion of the three streams of the higher secondary section, the school required more classrooms. The Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DONER) funded the construction of the new school building under Non Lapsable Central Pool Resources (NLCPR), Govt. of India. It was constructed by Panger Ao and inaugurated on 16th August 2012.

A number of developmental activities have taken place during the Platinum Jubilee year. On 30th March 2016, a bio-tech lab was established under the sponsorship of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Department of Biotechnology (North East Region), as part of a project called BLISS (Biotechnology Labs in Senior Secondary Schools). The school received funding for infrastructural development from the NEC for construction of the new school auditorium, Science Laboratory and Library building. The Mokokchung Town old students had taken up this initiative through NEC. The School Education Minister has also provided funds for the renovation of the school building. Leading up to the Platinum Jubilee celebration, The Ao Students Conference (AKM) in collaboration with Nagaland Mines and Minerals donated a drinking water facility which was installed on 8th September 2016.

As part of the Jubilee celebration, the school is inaugurating its e-library and science laboratory, and publishing a souvenir. This is made possible because of the funding contributed by the alumni members. The Kohima unit of the alumni has sponsored the creation of the school library website and upgradation of the library into an e-library, the Mokokchung unit has sponsored the upgradation of the science lab, and the Dimapur unit funded the printing of the souvenir.

Top